“An Exhibition of Great Heart”
Dr. Maya Angelou
“A Message of Hope”
William G. Steiner
“A Powerful Experience”
Dr. Jon Conte
Professor of Social Work
“Voices of Inspiration”
Rape Crisis Center
“An Excellent Film”
“A Powerhouse of a Film”
co-author, Courage to Heal
“An Effective and Powerful Teaching Tool”
Mary Pat Angelini
Substance Abuse Education Network
The Healing Years
A film about women survivors of childhood sexual abuse healing and speaking out
WATCH 7-MINUTE EXCERPTS HERE!
Big Voice Pictures’ independent documentary, The Healing Years, broke ground in the field of women’s issues and child sexual abuse prevention. The film has been broadcast on PBS stations nationwide, screened in international film festivals and leading conferences worldwide, and has become an acclaimed film in the field of child sexual abuse prevention for training and education. Ms. Barbini was awarded recognition by Lifetime Television and Times Square Project for contributing to ending violence against women and girls.
“This documentary does the most difficult, almost impossible feat: it admits the sick and cruel past. In doing so, it becomes therapy for a healthy future. This is an exhibition of abundant courage and great heart. Thank you.” —Maya Angelou
Without recovery, survivors of child sexual abuse face emotional struggle, substance abuse, post-traumatic stress, and the perpetration of abuse in their lives and families. This artfully produced documentary illustrates the poignant stories of incest survivors: former Miss America, Marilyn Van Derbur, speaking out; Janice Mirikitani, President of Glide memorial Church, San Francisco, who helps inner-city women addicts to heal from incest; and Barbara Hamilton, a 79-year old survivor who ends three generations of incest in her family.
The Healing Years points the way toward a hopeful future for survivors of abuse, and is a key tool for professionals working within the field of counseling, prevention and education. This documentary film has been endorsed by hundreds of professionals and organizations such as Child Help USA, Justice for Children, The American Psychological Association and the The National Resource Center on Sexual Violence. Endorsements include such leaders as: Dr. Maya Angelou, Childhelp USA and Laura Davis, author of Courage to Heal.
The film has been in international film festivals and conferences including:
- The Rocky Mountain Women’s Film Festival
- Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan
- American Psychological Association’s Film Festival,
- Victimization of Children and Youth International Research conference,
- American Psychological Association’s International conference
- VOICES (Victimization of Children and Youth International Research Conference)
- Survivor of Sexual Abuse Conference on Thriving
- 5th International Conference on Family Violence
- The Family Violence Conference
- The Child Sexual Assault Conference
- State Sexual Assault and Domestic Coalitions Conferences
Additional Endorsements, The Healing Years
“This is one of the best videos on child sexual abuse and incest! The Healing Years is a powerful experience, which will make an excellent training tape for all interested in working with and for survivors. I’m using it in my classes!–Dr. Jon Conte, Professor of Social Work,University of Washington
“These authentic voices are inspiration for everyone who has suffered abuse or who have family and friends who have survived sexual trauma.” —Patricia Giggans, Executive Director, Rape Crisis Center,Los Angeles Commission on Assaults Against Women
“The Healing Years takes the shame and betrayal of child sexual abuse and turns this trauma into a message of hope, healing and empowerment.” —William G. Steiner, Childhelp USA
“An excellent film…High recommended for child abuse and domestic violence professionals, therapists, and teachers.” —Library Journal
“This powerhouse of a film profiles three strong, vibrant survivors of child sexual abuse who convincingly tell us — once and for all — that we must take back our lives. This documentary banishes shame & celebrates women’s power.” —Laura Davis, co-author, Courage to Heal
“After viewing The Healing Years documentary, I have ordered a copy for our Education Resource Center . There is a clear correlation between adult substance abuse and addiction issues and childhood sexual abuse. This film is an effective and powerful community teaching tool that promotes a healing message, yet also challenges the viewer by bringing them face to face with the pain that sexual abuse causes” —Mary Pat Angelini, Executive Director, Substance Abuse Resources/Prevention and Education Network, A United Way Agency, and the National council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence.
Read more about Janice Mirikitani featured in The Healing Years. Her profoundly moving poetry has won numerous awards. Have a glimpse!
- Miss America By DayMarilyn Van Derbur’s site (former Miss America) for her wonderful book about her incest story. Marilyn is featured in our film, The Healing Years.
- SNAPSurvivors Network of those Abused by Priests. The largest, oldest and most active support group for women and men wounded by clergy abuse, religious authority figures (priests, ministers, bishops, deacons, nuns and others).
- Rape Abuse and Incest National NetworkNATIONAL SEXUAL ASSAULT HOTLINE 1-800-656-4673 (HOPE)
- Stop It Nowpreventing the sexual abuse of children by mobilizing adults, families and communities to take actions that protect children before they are harmed.
- Child Help USANational Child Abuse Hotline: 1.800.4.A.CHILD (1.800.422.4453)
- Safer Society FoundationSafer Society Foundation is dedicated to eliminating sexual abuse so that all of us may enjoy safer communities, healthier families and happier lives.
- Sidran InstituteHelping people understand, manage and treat trauma and dissociation.
- Generation FiveEnding child sexual abuse in 5 generations.
- Darkness to LightEmpowering people to prevent sexual abuse. of sexual abuse.
- Survivor’s ManualResource to inspire and empower both men and women survivors to lead joyful lives.
- Adult Survivors of Child AbuseFrom Survivor to Thriver: An international self-help support program with many resources.
- (Wo)men Speak OutA non-profit organization dedicated to eradicating rape, sexual assault and gender violence, and educating men and women to cultivate healthy relationships and gender equity.
- We Are SurvivorsProvides a national platform to discuss the core issues that impact the lives of adult survivors of child abuse and neglect and to develop appropriate action steps to address these issues.
- Let Peace Come inA wonderful site for adult survivors working together to heal, recover, and enact change and understanding to confront the effects of child sexual abuse.